It’s been said before that you can’t reinvent the wheel. This analogy applies to the futility that comes from trying to refine something that’s already reached its final form of perfection. While attempting to reinvent the wheel might be a pointless gesture in the eyes of many, the constant pursuit of perfecting what’s already perfect has been practiced by Chevrolet for decades. With a new model year comes a new fleet from one of America’s oldest and most sacred institutions. Just when you think Chevrolet has completely run the gauntlet of creating vehicles that defy all expectations…it somehow manages to do it again. The 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 Limited is just such an accomplishment.
For those who already own a Silverado, the temptation to upgrade is looming. For those who have always been curious and have admired from afar, here’s your chance to get in on the ground floor and capture lightning in a bottle. The Silverado 1500 Limited (also called the LTD) is Chevy’s carryover model, bringing a final round of the last generation before the newest one takes the industry by storm.
What’s New for 2022?
The new year is a time for renewal and rejuvenation. Change is in the air, and Chevy is seizing the initiative and applying a few choice alterations to the Silverado LTD. For many years a six-speed automatic transmission was available, but this year it’s been dropped from the LTD altogether. Instead, Chevy has opted to equip its customers with an 8 or 10-speed transmission, which is good news for those drivers who like their horsepower beefy and their handling sustainable.
The six-speed transmission wasn’t the only familiar item with a term coming to an end. One thing you’ll notice about the LTD this year is the available engine options. Both the 4.3L and a version of the 5.3L V8 were dropped, which is certainly a major step in the progression of the pickup. In the performance section, we’ll examine this year’s options and what capabilities they boast. Single-zone air conditioning and HD radio are also gone. In their place is dual-zone climate control, so it’s not just the performance that’s getting an upgrade. HD radio is absent, not because of a pending upgrade, but the continuous microchip shortage that’s affected the entire world.
Most noticeable are the redesigned front ends of the various trims. While this has more to do with the aesthetic of the Silverado than its performance, you only get one chance to make a first impression.
Unlimited Performance for a Limited Truck
This year is one where Chevy takes performance to new heights. With some options going away, that means that there are new roads to conquer and frontiers to explore. The 2022 Chevy Silverado Limited has four available engine options, each one possessing different attributes that make them unique.
- 2.7L Turbocharged In-Line 4-Cylinder: In the past, a truck with a four-cylinder meant you had a driver who was more concerned with style and fuel economy than substance. This isn’t the little engine that could; it’s the little engine that conquers! Since its release in 2019, many have been blown away by its capabilities. As far as earth-shaking power is concerned, 310 horsepower and 348 lb-ft of torque are enough to tackle whatever life throws your way. This power also comes with a combined fuel economy of around 21 MPG.
- 5.3L Ecotec3 V8: Part of the Silverado’s arsenal since 2019, this second-generation small block is a step above the standard 4-cylinder and has the capability to generate 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque. The primary difference between this model and recently vacated 5.3L has to do with the engine’s use of active fuel management, which it’s now using, as opposed to the dynamic fuel management of its predecessor.
- 6.2L V8: Praised by many as one of the most reliable and powerful engines in the industry, GM’s larger V8 hit the ground running when it made its debut in 2019. That same year, it was named one of the ten best engines by Ward’s. The earth moves out of the way when this bad boy comes to town. 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque are enough to turn any arduous task into a relatively easy affair. While its performance is very worthy of the praise it has received, the 10-speed Allison transmission it’s equipped with makes for a smooth ride and seamless shifting.
- 3.0L Duramax Inline-6 Turbo-Diesel: It’s sometimes difficult to fathom that the diesel engine is experiencing a renaissance. No longer the loud, cranking, abrasive, foul odor-emitting juggernauts of the past, but efficient engines that perform beyond what we once thought they could. 277 horsepower is rather impressive for six cylinders, as it the 460 lb-ft of torque it effortlessly generates. What many are finding impressive about the Duramax is its reliability and fuel efficiency. When properly maintained, this diesel goes the distance…300,000 miles with proper upkeep, to be exact. While large trucks are rarely praised for their fuel economy, a combined average of 27 MPG is nothing short of remarkable.
Staying Chevy Safe
With so much power comes great responsibility. Being a responsible and conscientious driver is one of the most important roles you’ll fill during adulthood. Parents who have Silverado-crazed teen drivers will be satisfied to know that the Limited scored high marks in crash tests. Chevy understands all too well that nothing will ever replace the skill of an experienced driver, and to this end, they’ve offered peace of mind in the form of some very important standard safety features. Some of the standard features you’ll find on the Silverado 1500 LTD are as follows.
- Forward Collision Alert: Driver assistance technology that lets a driver know when a collision is imminent. It works with the Following Distance Indicator to keep an eye on the distance between you and a vehicle ahead to prevent tailgating.
- Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert: This feature works as a second set of eyes when you are going to change lanes to help prevent collisions by monitoring your blind spots and alerting you when there is a vehicle in them.
- Hitch Guidance: With a towing capability that extends to almost 10,000 lbs, any assistance is recommended for those who enjoy trailering. Hitch Guidance makes it easier for you to line up your vehicle and attach it to your trailer.
The Calm Before the Storm
If Chevy has taught us anything over the years, it’s that they can still shock and amaze the public with their surprise innovations. The Silverado 1500 Limited, while a continuation of the previous model, already shows that there are major changes in the works regarding the ever-expanding fleet of Chevy trucks. With a new hybrid Silverado on the horizon and the old being phased out in favor of the new, it appears we could be sitting on the verge of a brand-wide revolution. It’s quite possible that whatever Chevy announces next will shake the industry down to its very foundations.
However, if you aren’t quite ready to let go of the model that you know offers amazing performance, capability, and style, then the 2022 Silverado 1500 Limited is the perfect option for you. Whether you are a person who is always looking for the latest and greatest things or you want something tried and true, this model will offer you a little bit of both.