Sure, there are a lot of trucks on the market today, but the 2021 Nissan Titan XD is one of a kind. Pickup trucks of all sizes are enjoying a sort of renaissance, with compact, midsize, half-ton, and even heavy-duty trucks finding more jobs around the country. This could be because trucks are more capable now than ever before, with the ability to handle like cars, haul the family to and from adventures like an SUV, and perform heavy work with even greater prowess.
The 2021 Nissan Titan XD checks all the boxes when it comes to truck desirability. It’s rugged, with plenty of off-road chops. It’s a step up from the standard Nissan Titan pickup, offering greater towing and payload capability without reaching into the three-quarter-ton size class. It even has NASA-inspired “zero gravity” seats, which make it awfully enjoyable to drive. Plus, it looks good driving down the street. What more could you ask for?
The 2021 Titan XD may sound like a shoo-in for one of the top trucks on the market, and it does have a lot to offer even in its base trims – how many trucks come standard with a crew cab, 4×4, and a 400-horsepower V8 engine at no additional cost? Take a look at the power, features, and safety offered by this easy to drive, easy to live with, and highly capable truck to see if it meets your needs and wants, as it does for so many other drivers.
The 2021 Nissan Titan XD Power and Performance
Over the past decade, half-ton pickup trucks have developed into a highly customizable type of vehicle. There are loads of trims and configurations available, which can make it confusing and overwhelming when you’re shopping for just the right truck. Nissan has taken some of the analysis paralysis out of the process with the Titan XD, engineering just the right features and configurations to create a work beast that handles like a sedan.
The 2021 Nissan Titan XD is offered exclusively as a crew cab model, which is paired with a 6.5-foot bed for a total wheelbase of 151.8 inches – a full foot longer than that of the regular Titan model. Four-wheel drive is standard on all models, building in the type of capability that makes trucks like the Titan XD invaluable at work sites. It can tow up to 11,040 pounds with the available gooseneck hitch kit and handle payloads up to 2,390 pounds, placing it above the standard Titan as far as load capacity.
Under the hood is a standard 5.6L V8 engine, the most powerful standard engine in its class. Paired with a 9-speed automatic transmission and designed with Variable Valve Event and Lift technology, this rugged engine makes a cool 400 horsepower and 413 lb-ft of torque. That’s a big step up from the underpowered V6 engines you will find on most base model trucks on the market.
The 2021 Nissan Titan XD Trims and Options
Not every driver needs every feature, which is why Nissan offers five total trims for 2021 Nissan Titan XD drivers to choose from.
- The S trim starts off the lineup with an impressive array of standard features. Not only does it include Nissan’s Integrated Command Center, which combines an 8-inch touchscreen display with NissanConnect technology, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto, but it also adds two USB ports and Bluetooth technology even at the base level. Also on the S trim is keyless entry and Push Button Ignition, plus a standard Class IV tow hitch with a 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness.
- Next in the lineup is the SV trim. This trim adds greater trailering capability, with features like trailer sway control, a trailer brake controller, and an integrated gooseneck hitch with a 7-pin wiring harness. Drivers will also appreciate the extendable heated mirrors and available front captain’s chairs when taking the Titan XD on longer trips through all sorts of weather.
- The PRO-4X trim is the Nissan Titan XD’s off-road offering, equipped from the factory with Bilstein shock absorbers and all-terrain tires. The Integrated Command Center is increased to a 9-inch screen, and an extra skid plate is added to the underside. You’ll also find helpful off-road features like an electronic locking rear differential and fog lights, plus extra interior features, like standard power-adjustable seats and dual-zone automatic temperature control.
- The SL trim is meant to be driven by those who appreciate plenty of comforts. Inside, you will find leather-appointed seats, a Fender premium 12 speaker audio system, and remote engine start with Intelligent Climate Control. Chrome accents are everywhere, including in the grille, the running boards, and the exhaust.
- At the top of the lineup is the Titan XD Platinum Reserve. With features befitting a luxury sedan, drivers may forget they’re driving a highly capable work-ready, off-road-equipped truck. The interior is swathed in premium leather and wood trim, with a heated steering wheel and front seats that are both heated and ventilated for ultimate comfort while driving. Even the rear seats are heated, giving every passenger a taste of luxury.
- Safety and Driver Assistance in the 2021 Nissan Titan XD
- All 2021 Titan XD models come equipped with the standard Nissan Safety Shield 360 suite of driver assistance features. The standard Safety Shield package includes Automatic Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection, Rear Automatic Braking, a Rear Sonar System, Blind Spot Warning, Lane Departure Warning, and High Beam Assist.
- But those who select a higher trim unlock additional driver-assistance equipment. For example, the SV trim adds Intelligent Cruise Control and Rear Cross Traffic Alert. The PRO-4X trim includes features that add to its off-road readiness, including all-LED lighting, as well as hill descent and climb control.
- At the SV level, the standard rearview camera system is replaced with Nissan’s Intelligent Around View Monitor, which provides a 360-degree view around the vehicle. A front and rear Sonar System are also provided, along with traffic sign recognition technology. All of these features are also standard in the top Platinum Reserve trim, as well.
- The 2021 Nissan Titan XD proves that a well-equipped pickup truck doesn’t have to provide every possible option in order to be a highly capable and dependable work, play, and daily vehicle. Intelligent decisions abound in the Titan XD, including a standard cab and bed configuration that allows for higher payload and passenger comfort, five trims that provide features suited for a variety of different buyers, and a robust standard safety suite that can be built upon for even greater security.
Whether you need to tow, stow, or get up and go on the road less taken, there is a 2021 Nissan Titan XD that’s just right for the job. While there are still plenty of options and packages to consider before you make your final selection at the dealer’s lot, drivers have the opportunity to select a truck that’s already exactly what you want it to be with minimal fuss. Whether you’re looking for a well-equipped but not too over-the-top vehicle for work or you have goals of climbing, fording, and exploring, the 2021 Nissan Titan XD is ready to go.